GMCforum
For enthusiast of the Classic GMC Motorhome built from 1973 to 1978. A web-based mirror of the GMCnet mailing list.

Today's Messages (on)  | Unanswered Messages (off)

Forum: GMCnet
 Topic: [GMCnet] Help Needed near Oklahoma City
[GMCnet] Help Needed near Oklahoma City [message #326159] Sun, 19 November 2017 12:28
k2gkk is currently offline  k2gkk   United States
Messages: 4001
Registered: November 2009
Karma:
Senior Member
I got a "Black's List" call last night from a California GMCer with apparently severe engine problems some 15 or so miles east of Oklahoma City. Kaitlin is driving a 77 (455 engine) and is overnighted in a church parking lot (safely off I-40) with solar battery power and a good supply of propane and food.

I am aware that there are several ignition components that are recommended as "universal" spares for travel; module, rotor, cap, etc. I don't know if a NAPA is open on Sundays but O'Reilly's, Auto Zone, and Advance are. Would those places have the likely suspect parts and if so what part numbers (if possible).

My mechanic neighbor seems to have come down with the flu overnight, so I don't know what good I can do, but Kaitlin does have at least some rudimentary tools and has already had other assorted malfunctions.

Any ideas, help, etc. would be greatly appreciated.


D C "Mac" Macdonald
Amateur Radio K2GKK
Since 30 November '53
USAF and FAA, Retired
Member GMCMI & Classics
Oklahoma City, OK
"The Money Pit"
TZE166V101966
'76 ex-Palm Beach
k2gkk + hotmail dot com

_______________________________________________
GMCnet mailing list
Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org

Re: [GMCnet] Help Needed near Oklahoma City [message #326160 is a reply to message #326159] Sun, 19 November 2017 12:48
powerjon is currently offline  powerjon   United States
Messages: 2418
Registered: January 2004
Karma:
Senior Member
Mac,
Without know what the symptom are it would be hard to recommend the necessary parts. Would suggest a module and a coil and look at the cap and rotor to see if they need to be replaced. Always do parts search as a 1975 or 76 Oldsmobile Toronado

AZ Module part numbers DR100 and the AC Delco model is D1906
AZ Coil Part numbers C833 or C834

Ask if it just quit or was backfiring out the back, check to see if fuel is in carb or has no spark. No spark would be the first choice.

JR Wright
GMC Great Laker MHC
GMC Eastern States Charter Member
GMCGL Tech Editor
GMCMI
78 GMC Buskirk 30’ Stretch
1975 GMC Avion (Under Reconstruction)
Michigan


> On Nov 19, 2017, at 1:28 PM, D C _Mac_ Macdonald wrote:
>
> I got a "Black's List" call last night from a California GMCer with apparently severe engine problems some 15 or so miles east of Oklahoma City. Kaitlin is driving a 77 (455 engine) and is overnighted in a church parking lot (safely off I-40) with solar battery power and a good supply of propane and food.
>
> I am aware that there are several ignition components that are recommended as "universal" spares for travel; module, rotor, cap, etc. I don't know if a NAPA is open on Sundays but O'Reilly's, Auto Zone, and Advance are. Would those places have the likely suspect parts and if so what part numbers (if possible).
>
> My mechanic neighbor seems to have come down with the flu overnight, so I don't know what good I can do, but Kaitlin does have at least some rudimentary tools and has already had other assorted malfunctions.
>
> Any ideas, help, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
>
>
> D C "Mac" Macdonald
> Amateur Radio K2GKK
> Since 30 November '53
> USAF and FAA, Retired
> Member GMCMI & Classics
> Oklahoma City, OK
> "The Money Pit"
> TZE166V101966
> '76 ex-Palm Beach
> k2gkk + hotmail dot com
>
> _______________________________________________
> GMCnet mailing list
> Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
> http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org


_______________________________________________
GMCnet mailing list
Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org


J.R. Wright
GMC GreatLaker
GMC Eastern States
GMCMI
78 30' Buskirk Stretch
75 Avion Under Reconstruction
Michigan
Re: [GMCnet] Help Needed near Oklahoma City [message #326161 is a reply to message #326159] Sun, 19 November 2017 13:07
Ty Hardiman is currently offline  Ty Hardiman   United States
Messages: 18
Registered: April 2017
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Karma:
Junior Member
Mac could you put me in touch with the GMCer and I will see what I can do? You can reach me by text message or call at 405-833-4384. I submitted for the blacklist after Elkhart but I'm not sure that my name is up there yet.

Ty Hardiman, Norman, OK / Member FMCA-GMCMI-GMC Classics / August 1977 Kingsley TZE167V102390 / 26' / 403 / 3.55 / 16" Wheels / Quadrajet / HEI / Previous Owners: Basil LeBlanc, Dan Ramker / Original Owner: William Strahm, Loveland, CO
Re: [GMCnet] Help Needed near Oklahoma City [message #326162 is a reply to message #326161] Sun, 19 November 2017 13:27
bdub is currently offline  bdub   United States
Messages: 1230
Registered: February 2004
Location: Central Texas
Karma:
Senior Member
You're on there, Ty. Thanks for being a part of it.
bdub


On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 1:07 PM, Ty Hardiman wrote:

> Mac could you put me in touch with the GMCer and I will see what I can
> do? You can reach me by text message or call at 405-833-4384. I submitted
> for
> the blacklist after Elkhart but I'm not sure that my name is up there yet.
_______________________________________________
GMCnet mailing list
Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org



bdub
www.bdub.net
Re: [GMCnet] Help Needed near Oklahoma City [message #326165 is a reply to message #326162] Sun, 19 November 2017 14:58
Jeanette is currently offline  Jeanette   United States
Messages: 60
Registered: May 2013
Karma:
Member
Ty you are a gem.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 19, 2017, at 1:27 PM, Billy Massey wrote:
>
> You're on there, Ty. Thanks for being a part of it.
> bdub
>
>
>> On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 1:07 PM, Ty Hardiman wrote:
>>
>> Mac could you put me in touch with the GMCer and I will see what I can
>> do? You can reach me by text message or call at 405-833-4384. I submitted
>> for
>> the blacklist after Elkhart but I'm not sure that my name is up there yet.
> _______________________________________________
> GMCnet mailing list
> Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
> http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org

_______________________________________________
GMCnet mailing list
Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org

 Topic: Aluminum intake manifold-opinions..
Aluminum intake manifold-opinions.. [message #326163] Sun, 19 November 2017 14:02
Scott Nutter is currently offline  Scott Nutter   United States
Messages: 337
Registered: January 2015
Location: Houston/San Diego
Karma:
Senior Member
Hello,
I might be close to removing the stock intake manifold on my 455, and was wondering the advantages of replacing it with a aluminum intake.

The #1 best thing that I can see would be not ever needing the heat block-off plates, #2 would be a new product without any cracks(hopefully), and #3 would be the weight.

Any other pro's of con's?
I have searched prior post and can only find info for the 403's

Thank you,
Scott.



Scott Nutter 1978 Royale Center Kitchen, Patterson 455, switch pitch tranny, 3.21 final drive, Quad bags, tankless water heater, everything Lenzi. Houston, Texas
Re: [GMCnet] Aluminum intake manifold-opinions.. [message #326164 is a reply to message #326163] Sun, 19 November 2017 14:48
powerjon is currently offline  powerjon   United States
Messages: 2418
Registered: January 2004
Karma:
Senior Member
Scott,
If you use an Edlebrock Performer manifold for the 455 you will have to raise the engine cover about 2+ inches. If you use the aluminum manifold that was made for the coach patterened after the factory intake with upgrades it will fit without modes

http://www.appliedgmc.com/prod.itml/icOid/568

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2151/overview/make/oldsmobile
Not sure if the summit item is the correct, but only one listed for the 455.

JR Wright
Michigan
Buskirk Stretch


> On Nov 19, 2017, at 3:02 PM, Scott Nutter wrote:
>
> Hello,
> I might be close to removing the stock intake manifold on my 455, and was wondering the advantages of replacing it with a aluminum intake.
>
> The #1 best thing that I can see would be not ever needing the heat block-off plates, #2 would be a new product without any cracks(hopefully), and #3
> would be the weight.
>
> Any other pro's of con's?
> I have searched prior post and can only find info for the 403's
>
> Thank you,
> Scott.
>
>
> --
> Scott Nutter
> 1978 Royale Center Kitchen, Patterson 455, switch pitch tranny, 3.21 final drive, Quad bags, tankless water heater, everything Lenzi.
> Houston, Texas
>
> _______________________________________________
> GMCnet mailing list
> Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
> http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org


_______________________________________________
GMCnet mailing list
Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org



J.R. Wright
GMC GreatLaker
GMC Eastern States
GMCMI
78 30' Buskirk Stretch
75 Avion Under Reconstruction
Michigan
Re: [GMCnet] Aluminum intake manifold-opinions.. [message #326166 is a reply to message #326163] Sun, 19 November 2017 14:59
Ken Henderson is currently offline  Ken Henderson   United States
Messages: 7282
Registered: March 2004
Location: Americus, GA
Karma:
Senior Member
If you consider using the Edelbrock manifold, be sure to review this first:

http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/g3057-cylinder-head-damage-from-exhaust-crossover-plugs.html

Ken H.


On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 3:02 PM, Scott Nutter wrote:

> Hello,
> I might be close to removing the stock intake manifold on my 455, and was
> wondering the advantages of replacing it with a aluminum intake.
>
> The #1 best thing that I can see would be not ever needing the heat
> block-off plates, #2 would be a new product without any cracks(hopefully),
> and #3
> would be the weight.
>
> Any other pro's of con's?
> I have searched prior post and can only find info for the 403's
>
> Thank you,
> Scott.
>
_______________________________________________
GMCnet mailing list
Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org



Ken Henderson
Americus, GA
www.gmcwipersetc.com
Large Wiring Diagrams
76 X-Birchaven
76 X-Palm Beach



Current Time: Sun Nov 19 15:34:39 CST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01988 seconds