GMCforum
For enthusiast of the Classic GMC Motorhome built from 1973 to 1978. A web-based mirror of the GMCnet mailing list.

Home » GMC » GMCnet » Considering a New (larger) Refrigerator
Considering a New (larger) Refrigerator [message #327957] Sun, 07 January 2018 12:20 Go to next message
SteveW is currently offline  SteveW   United States
Messages: 384
Registered: June 2005
Location: Southern California - Ora...
Karma: 0
Senior Member
Greetings from Southern California !

I'm considering a larger refrigerator for our 1973 (side bath) 23 footer.

A 7 cubic foot Norcold is in the running - but the newer models don't get good reviews. Comments about changes to a new compressor and smaller condensor...

Might anyone here have experience and/or commentary about NovaKool or Truckfridge ??

Specifically:

http://www.novakool.com/products/two_doors/rfu6200_6800_8000_9000.htm

https://www.truckfridge.com/tf2600/

I'm leaning against propane fired units - but could be persuaded to consider them...

As always, THANK YOU ALL for sharing this immense collection of knowledge and experience.

Steve W
Southern
California

Re: [GMCnet] Considering a New (larger) Refrigerator [message #327975 is a reply to message #327957] Sun, 07 January 2018 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kosier is currently offline  Kosier   United States
Messages: 775
Registered: February 2008
Karma: 1
Senior Member
Can I offer a vote in favor of the Norcold. My original died last summer
after a mere 40 years.(darn it)
The short life span of the gas reefers combined with the constant leveling
really gets to me. Plus, we
always did it right and shut it off before entering a gas station. I've
seen several motorhomes that had
nasty fires caused by gas reefers. Just not the answer for me.

Gary Kosier
77PB w/500Cad
Newark, Ohio

--------------------------------------------------
From: "Steve Weinstock"
Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2018 1:20 PM
To:
Subject: [GMCnet] Considering a New (larger) Refrigerator

> Greetings from Southern California !
>
> I'm considering a larger refrigerator for our 1973 (side bath) 23 footer.
>
> A 7 cubic foot Norcold is in the running - but the newer models don't get
> good reviews. Comments about changes to a new compressor and smaller
> condensor...
>
> Might anyone here have experience and/or commentary about NovaKool or
> Truckfridge ??
>
> Specifically:
>
> http://www.novakool.com/products/two_doors/rfu6200_6800_8000_9000.htm
>
> https://www.truckfridge.com/tf2600/
>
> I'm leaning against propane fired units - but could be persuaded to
> consider them...
>
> As always, THANK YOU ALL for sharing this immense collection of knowledge
> and experience.
>
> Steve W
> Southern
> California
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> GMCnet mailing list
> Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
> http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org


_______________________________________________
GMCnet mailing list
Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org

Re: [GMCnet] Considering a New (larger) Refrigerator [message #327978 is a reply to message #327975] Sun, 07 January 2018 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jimk is currently offline  jimk   United States
Messages: 4573
Registered: July 2006
Location: Belmont, CA
Karma: 5
Senior Member
AS long as the flame is above the ground by couple feet, you need not be
concerned about shuting off the unit befor etering filling stations.
Also leveling the coach/refigerator is not that much of a concern with the
newer units as they can be off center much more and still work.
Should you be way off, then it will automaticly hut down till you move.
The all electric are good , but hard on the batteries.
We have a great price and delivery program on Norcold and other appliences.

On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 4:22 PM, Gary Kosier wrote:

> Can I offer a vote in favor of the Norcold. My original died last summer
> after a mere 40 years.(darn it)
> The short life span of the gas reefers combined with the constant leveling
> really gets to me. Plus, we
> always did it right and shut it off before entering a gas station. I've
> seen several motorhomes that had
> nasty fires caused by gas reefers. Just not the answer for me.
>
> Gary Kosier
> 77PB w/500Cad
> Newark, Ohio
>
> --------------------------------------------------
> From: "Steve Weinstock"
> Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2018 1:20 PM
> To:
> Subject: [GMCnet] Considering a New (larger) Refrigerator
>
>
> Greetings from Southern California !
>>
>> I'm considering a larger refrigerator for our 1973 (side bath) 23 footer.
>>
>> A 7 cubic foot Norcold is in the running - but the newer models don't get
>> good reviews. Comments about changes to a new compressor and smaller
>> condensor...
>>
>> Might anyone here have experience and/or commentary about NovaKool or
>> Truckfridge ??
>>
>> Specifically:
>>
>> http://www.novakool.com/products/two_doors/rfu6200_6800_8000_9000.htm
>>
>> https://www.truckfridge.com/tf2600/
>>
>> I'm leaning against propane fired units - but could be persuaded to
>> consider them...
>>
>> As always, THANK YOU ALL for sharing this immense collection of knowledge
>> and experience.
>>
>> Steve W
>> Southern
>> California
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> GMCnet mailing list
>> Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
>> http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org
>>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> GMCnet mailing list
> Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
> http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org
>



--
Jim Kanomata
Applied/GMC, Newark,CA
jimk-AT-appliedairfilters-DOT-com
http://www.appliedgmc.com
1-800-752-7502
_______________________________________________
GMCnet mailing list
Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org



Jim Kanomata
Applied/GMC
jimk-AT-appliedairfilters-DOT-com
www.appliedgmc.com
1-800-752-7502
Re: [GMCnet] Considering a New (larger) Refrigerator [message #327980 is a reply to message #327975] Sun, 07 January 2018 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike Kelley is currently offline  Mike Kelley   United States
Messages: 92
Registered: February 2017
Karma: 0
Member
Steve W.:
I had an R V refrigeration specialist in the Midwest install a new scratch and dent 3 way (propane/110/12v)
2 door - same size as used in 26's - in my 23'. Was extremely happy w/ the decision, the performance, the extra refrig and freezer space, and the cost. Would do the same again in a heart beat - one of the best upgrades I have done and the Frau loved it.
Mike/The Corvair a holic

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 7, 2018, at 6:22 PM, Gary Kosier wrote:
>
> Can I offer a vote in favor of the Norcold. My original died last summer after a mere 40 years.(darn it)
> The short life span of the gas reefers combined with the constant leveling really gets to me. Plus, we
> always did it right and shut it off before entering a gas station. I've seen several motorhomes that had
> nasty fires caused by gas reefers. Just not the answer for me.
>
> Gary Kosier
> 77PB w/500Cad
> Newark, Ohio
>
> --------------------------------------------------
> From: "Steve Weinstock"
> Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2018 1:20 PM
> To:
> Subject: [GMCnet] Considering a New (larger) Refrigerator
>
>> Greetings from Southern California !
>>
>> I'm considering a larger refrigerator for our 1973 (side bath) 23 footer.
>>
>> A 7 cubic foot Norcold is in the running - but the newer models don't get good reviews. Comments about changes to a new compressor and smaller
>> condensor...
>>
>> Might anyone here have experience and/or commentary about NovaKool or Truckfridge ??
>>
>> Specifically:
>>
>> http://www.novakool.com/products/two_doors/rfu6200_6800_8000_9000.htm
>>
>> https://www.truckfridge.com/tf2600/
>>
>> I'm leaning against propane fired units - but could be persuaded to consider them...
>>
>> As always, THANK YOU ALL for sharing this immense collection of knowledge and experience.
>>
>> Steve W
>> Southern
>> California
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> GMCnet mailing list
>> Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
>> http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> GMCnet mailing list
> Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
> http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org

_______________________________________________
GMCnet mailing list
Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org

Re: Considering a New (larger) Refrigerator [message #327993 is a reply to message #327957] Sun, 07 January 2018 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott Nutter is currently offline  Scott Nutter   United States
Messages: 376
Registered: January 2015
Location: Houston/San Diego
Karma: 0
Senior Member
Steve,
Another vote for the bigger fridge.
My preference is AC and propane. I want to keep my charging dc while driving to a minimum draw. Even on my isolator block.
I'm running a 15 year dometic, so far so good


Scott Nutter 1978 Royale Center Kitchen, Patterson 455, switch pitch tranny, 3.21 final drive, Quad bags, tankless water heater, everything Lenzi. Houston, Texas
Re: Considering a New (larger) Refrigerator [message #328000 is a reply to message #327957] Mon, 08 January 2018 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RF_Burns is currently offline  RF_Burns   Canada
Messages: 1457
Registered: June 2008
Location: S. Ontario, Canada
Karma: 6
Senior Member
Since you are looking at all-electric, we put in a 7.4cu-ft Avanti apartment fridge.

http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/g6634-all-electric-fridge-by-avanti.html

Its 110v AC only, we run it direct on shore power or through our 1500W pure since wave inverter. We rarely dry camp and when we do, its usually over a weekend, which we can just make it through.

It cools very fast, about an hour and the freezer section is frozen.

We paid $450Cdn for it about 5 yrs ago, so you should be able to find something similar in the $300's USD.

JWID


Bruce Hislop
ON Canada
77PB, 455 Dick P. rebuilt, DynamicEFI EBL EFI & ESC.
Hubler 1 ton front end
http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=29001
My Staff says I never listen to them, or something like that
Re: Considering a New (larger) Refrigerator [message #328076 is a reply to message #327957] Tue, 09 January 2018 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WCB75 is currently offline  WCB75   Canada
Messages: 40
Registered: May 2015
Location: Tampa,Florida.
Karma: 0
Member
You may want to check out the Dometic compressor driven 6' or 8' 12v/110v DMC refrig.


https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/products/food-and-beverage/refrigeration/refrigerators/dometic-americana-dmc-_-140723


Bill and Mary Kay Boeyen 76 23' Birchaven 455 Tampa, Florida

[Updated on: Tue, 09 January 2018 06:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Considering a New (larger) Refrigerator [message #328085 is a reply to message #327957] Tue, 09 January 2018 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carl S. is currently offline  Carl S.   United States
Messages: 3400
Registered: January 2009
Location: Tucson, AZ.
Karma: 5
Senior Member

SteveW wrote on Sun, 07 January 2018 11:20
Greetings from Southern California !

I'm considering a larger refrigerator for our 1973 (side bath) 23 footer.

A 7 cubic foot Norcold is in the running - but the newer models don't get good reviews. Comments about changes to a new compressor and smaller condensor...

Might anyone here have experience and/or commentary about NovaKool or Truckfridge ??

Specifically:

http://www.novakool.com/products/two_doors/rfu6200_6800_8000_9000.htm

https://www.truckfridge.com/tf2600/

I'm leaning against propane fired units - but could be persuaded to consider them...

As always, THANK YOU ALL for sharing this immense collection of knowledge and experience.

Steve W
Southern
California



Steve,

If you ever do any dry camping, I would highly recommend you consider a propane refrigerator. A compressor driven unit, even the most efficient, will drain you batteries rather quickly. Unless you have a LOT of solar to recharge them, you will be dependent on a generator a lot.

We have been very happy with the Norcold 641.3 (three way) I installed about six years ago. It cools down quickly (usually overnight) and keeps food and beverages cold, makes ice in the freezer, etc even on the hottest Arizona days. It sips propane (think pilot light) and uses very little 12 volt power when not plugged in. Sure, the coach needs to be close to level, but you would normally want that anyway.

JWID: http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/g5863-norcold-refrigerator-installation.html


Carl Stouffer '75 ex Palm Beach Tucson, AZ. Chuck Aulgur Reaction Arm Disc Brakes, Quadrabags, 3.70 LSD final drive, Lenzi knuckles/hubs, Dodge Truck 16" X 8" front wheels, Rear American Eagles, Solar battery charging. GMCSJ and GMCMI member

[Updated on: Wed, 10 January 2018 11:40]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Considering a New (larger) Refrigerator [message #328121 is a reply to message #327957] Wed, 10 January 2018 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveW is currently offline  SteveW   United States
Messages: 384
Registered: June 2005
Location: Southern California - Ora...
Karma: 0
Senior Member
Thank you everyone !!

Perhaps propane isn't as bad as some of the stories and reviews posted on the interwebs.

A new refrigerator isn't immediately required - so I'll proceed slowly on this one.

Steve W
1973 23'
Southern California

Re: Considering a New (larger) Refrigerator [message #328143 is a reply to message #328121] Wed, 10 January 2018 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ken Burton is currently offline  Ken Burton   United States
Messages: 8442
Registered: January 2004
Location: Hebron, Indiana
Karma: 32
Senior Member

I love my propane refrigerator / freezer. The first Norcold lasted almost 30 years. The second one, a Dometic, is going strong. It has performed flawlessly in all kinds of weather and temps over 100 degrees. I turn it on and fill it up and forget about it. Weeks later when I return home I empty it out and turn it off. About every 3 years or so I fill the propane tank. It runs on propane all the time and if I plug in to 120 VAC somewhere it automatically switches to electric. If the electric goes away it automatically switches back to propane again.

Ken Burton - N9KB
76 Palm Beach
Hebron, Indiana
Re: [GMCnet] Considering a New (larger) Refrigerator [message #328145 is a reply to message #328143] Wed, 10 January 2018 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jimk is currently offline  jimk   United States
Messages: 4573
Registered: July 2006
Location: Belmont, CA
Karma: 5
Senior Member
These new units are trouble free and cools very well as long as the rear
vent is set properly.
Last year we supplied about 20 units to the GMC comuity as we are very
competitive with large appliances and we quote delivered price.

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 7:31 PM, Ken Burton wrote:

> I love my propane refrigerator / freezer. The first Norcold lasted almost
> 30 years. The second one, a Dometic, is going strong. It has performed
> flawlessly in all kinds of weather and temps over 100 degrees. I turn it
> on and fill it up and forget about it. Weeks later when I return home I
> empty it out and turn it off. About every 3 years or so I fill the
> propane tank. It runs on propane all the time and if I plug in to 120 VAC
> somewhere it automatically switches to electric. If the electric goes
> away it automatically switches back to propane again.
> --
> Ken Burton - N9KB
> 76 Palm Beach
> Hebron, Indiana
>
> _______________________________________________
> GMCnet mailing list
> Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
> http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org
>



--
Jim Kanomata
Applied/GMC, Newark,CA
jimk-AT-appliedairfilters-DOT-com
http://www.appliedgmc.com
1-800-752-7502
_______________________________________________
GMCnet mailing list
Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org



Jim Kanomata
Applied/GMC
jimk-AT-appliedairfilters-DOT-com
www.appliedgmc.com
1-800-752-7502
Re: [GMCnet] Considering a New (larger) Refrigerator [message #328146 is a reply to message #328145] Wed, 10 January 2018 21:50 Go to previous message
jimk is currently offline  jimk   United States
Messages: 4573
Registered: July 2006
Location: Belmont, CA
Karma: 5
Senior Member
Oh we do give free insructions for each coach as they differ.

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 7:45 PM, Jim Kanomata wrote:

> These new units are trouble free and cools very well as long as the rear
> vent is set properly.
> Last year we supplied about 20 units to the GMC comuity as we are very
> competitive with large appliances and we quote delivered price.
>
> On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 7:31 PM, Ken Burton wrote:
>
>> I love my propane refrigerator / freezer. The first Norcold lasted
>> almost 30 years. The second one, a Dometic, is going strong. It has
>> performed
>> flawlessly in all kinds of weather and temps over 100 degrees. I turn it
>> on and fill it up and forget about it. Weeks later when I return home I
>> empty it out and turn it off. About every 3 years or so I fill the
>> propane tank. It runs on propane all the time and if I plug in to 120 VAC
>> somewhere it automatically switches to electric. If the electric goes
>> away it automatically switches back to propane again.
>> --
>> Ken Burton - N9KB
>> 76 Palm Beach
>> Hebron, Indiana
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> GMCnet mailing list
>> Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
>> http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Jim Kanomata
> Applied/GMC, Newark,CA
> jimk-AT-appliedairfilters-DOT-com
> http://www.appliedgmc.com
> 1-800-752-7502
>



--
Jim Kanomata
Applied/GMC, Newark,CA
jimk-AT-appliedairfilters-DOT-com
http://www.appliedgmc.com
1-800-752-7502
_______________________________________________
GMCnet mailing list
Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org



Jim Kanomata
Applied/GMC
jimk-AT-appliedairfilters-DOT-com
www.appliedgmc.com
1-800-752-7502
Previous Topic: [GMCnet] LP tank valve.
Next Topic: Revcon likely for parts
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sat Jan 20 15:13:08 CST 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01929 seconds