GMCforum
For enthusiast of the Classic GMC Motorhome built from 1973 to 1978. A web-based mirror of the GMCnet mailing list.

Home » GMC » GMCnet » [GMCnet] Heater Motor
[GMCnet] Heater Motor [message #326644] Sat, 02 December 2017 11:55 Go to next message
Gary Berry is currently offline  Gary Berry   United States
Messages: 989
Registered: May 2005
Karma: 0
Senior Member
Hey All;

When my house heater starts up, I get this hellacious noise that sounds
like the bearings are dry on the motor. I've had this Suburban NT-40 apart
for various problems, but this will be the first time for the motor. Is
there a way of just oiling the bearings on the motor or is this something
that will require changing out the motor (if it's available someplace)???

--
Gary and Berry
73 CL Stretch in Wa.
_______________________________________________
GMCnet mailing list
Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org

Re: [GMCnet] Heater Motor [message #326649 is a reply to message #326644] Sat, 02 December 2017 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jimk is currently offline  jimk   United States
Messages: 4509
Registered: July 2006
Location: Belmont, CA
Karma: 5
Senior Member
I have experianced that by lubercating the bearing lasts only a short time.
Only olution for long term is to replace the motor, of see if McMaster Carr
has a oilite bushig that will fit.

On Sat, Dec 2, 2017 at 9:55 AM, Gary Berry wrote:

> Hey All;
>
> When my house heater starts up, I get this hellacious noise that sounds
> like the bearings are dry on the motor. I've had this Suburban NT-40 apart
> for various problems, but this will be the first time for the motor. Is
> there a way of just oiling the bearings on the motor or is this something
> that will require changing out the motor (if it's available someplace)???
>
> --
> Gary and Berry
> 73 CL Stretch in Wa.
> _______________________________________________
> GMCnet mailing list
> Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
> http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org
>



--
Jim Kanomata
Applied/GMC, Newark,CA
jimk-AT-appliedairfilters-DOT-com
http://www.appliedgmc.com
1-800-752-7502
_______________________________________________
GMCnet mailing list
Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org



Jim Kanomata
Applied/GMC
jimk-AT-appliedairfilters-DOT-com
www.appliedgmc.com
1-800-752-7502
Re: [GMCnet] Heater Motor [message #326650 is a reply to message #326649] Sat, 02 December 2017 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gary Berry is currently offline  Gary Berry   United States
Messages: 989
Registered: May 2005
Karma: 0
Senior Member
Thanks Jim. I have the interior out right now and the heater is easily
accessible so I'll just lube it for now. I'll see about the McMaster Carr
Bearing when I get to CA.

On Sat, Dec 2, 2017 at 10:18 AM, Jim Kanomata wrote:

> I have experianced that by lubercating the bearing lasts only a short time.
> Only olution for long term is to replace the motor, of see if McMaster Carr
> has a oilite bushig that will fit.
>
> --
Gary and Diana Berry
73 CL Stretch in Wa.
_______________________________________________
GMCnet mailing list
Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org

Re: [GMCnet] Heater Motor [message #326667 is a reply to message #326650] Sun, 03 December 2017 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
USAussie is currently offline  USAussie   United States
Messages: 15505
Registered: July 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Karma: 42
Senior Member
Gary,

I would suggest you mix some Valvoline Synpower with acetone to lubricate the bearings. That's what I used on motorcycle cables and
chains. The mix would wick in between the parts and when the acetone evaporated a residue of moly grease was left behind.

Regards,
Rob M.
The Pedantic Mechanic
Sydney, Australia
AUS '75 Avion - The Blue Streak TZE365V100428
USA '75 Avion - Double Trouble TZE365V100426
USA '77 Kingsley - TZE 267V100808



-----Original Message-----
From: Gmclist [mailto:gmclist-bounces-AT-list-DOT-gmcnet-DOT-org] On Behalf Of Gary Berry
Sent: Saturday, December 2, 2017 12:59 PM
To: gmclist-AT-list-DOT-gmcnet-DOT-org
Subject: Re: [GMCnet] Heater Motor

Thanks Jim. I have the interior out right now and the heater is easily
accessible so I'll just lube it for now. I'll see about the McMaster Carr
Bearing when I get to CA.

On Sat, Dec 2, 2017 at 10:18 AM, Jim Kanomata wrote:

> I have experianced that by lubercating the bearing lasts only a short time.
> Only olution for long term is to replace the motor, of see if McMaster Carr
> has a oilite bushig that will fit.
>
> --
Gary and Diana Berry
73 CL Stretch in Wa.
_______________________________________________
GMCnet mailing list
Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org


_______________________________________________
GMCnet mailing list
Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org



Regards, Rob M. (USAussie) The Pedantic Mechanic Sydney, Australia '75 Avion - AUS - The Blue Streak TZE365V100428 '75 Avion - USA - Double Trouble TZE365V100426
Re: [GMCnet] Heater Motor [message #326760 is a reply to message #326667] Tue, 05 December 2017 13:55 Go to previous message
Gary Berry is currently offline  Gary Berry   United States
Messages: 989
Registered: May 2005
Karma: 0
Senior Member
Hey Rob;

If I can get the motor out I'll give that a try...Thanks...

On Sun, Dec 3, 2017 at 5:26 AM, Rob Mueller wrote:

> Gary,
>
> I would suggest you mix some Valvoline Synpower with acetone to lubricate
> the bearings. That's what I used on motorcycle cables and
> chains. The mix would wick in between the parts and when the acetone
> evaporated a residue of moly grease was left behind.
>
> Regards,
> Rob M.
> The Pedantic Mechanic
> Sydney, Australia
> AUS '75 Avion - The Blue Streak TZE365V100428
> USA '75 Avion - Double Trouble TZE365V100426
> USA '77 Kingsley - TZE 267V100808
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Gmclist [mailto:gmclist-bounces-AT-list-DOT-gmcnet-DOT-org] On Behalf Of Gary
> Berry
> Sent: Saturday, December 2, 2017 12:59 PM
> To: gmclist-AT-list-DOT-gmcnet-DOT-org
> Subject: Re: [GMCnet] Heater Motor
>
> Thanks Jim. I have the interior out right now and the heater is easily
> accessible so I'll just lube it for now. I'll see about the McMaster Carr
> Bearing when I get to CA.
>
> On Sat, Dec 2, 2017 at 10:18 AM, Jim Kanomata
> wrote:
>
>> I have experianced that by lubercating the bearing lasts only a short
> time.
>> Only olution for long term is to replace the motor, of see if McMaster
> Carr
>> has a oilite bushig that will fit.
>>
>> --
> Gary and Diana Berry
> 73 CL Stretch in Wa.
> _______________________________________________
> GMCnet mailing list
> Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
> http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> GMCnet mailing list
> Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
> http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org
>



--
Gary and Diana Berry
73 CL Stretch in Wa.
_______________________________________________
GMCnet mailing list
Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org

Previous Topic: [GMCnet] main board for generator
Next Topic: [GMCnet] Tankless hot water heater
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sun Dec 17 04:09:46 CST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.52900 seconds