GMCforum
For enthusiast of the Classic GMC Motorhome built from 1973 to 1978. A web-based mirror of the GMCnet mailing list.

Home » GMC » GMCnet » [GMCnet] Final Drive Intermediate Axle questions
Re: [GMCnet] Final Drive Intermediate Axle questions [message #322540 is a reply to message #322539] Wed, 23 August 2017 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ken Henderson is currently offline  Ken Henderson   United States
Messages: 7216
Registered: March 2004
Location: Americus, GA
Karma: 40
Senior Member
Well, I managed to screw that up: I left out the dimension "

The distance from the center of the outboard bolt to the inboard side of
the bearing bracket" is 3/4".

Ken H.

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 11:54 AM, Ken Henderson
wrote:

> Rick,
>
> Here's the photo:
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3XquSIYjDleN2cydTlUMGpaZl9ka
> EdfNUZ2TklKQ3lCanA0/view?usp=sharing
>
> Notice that the hex heads are parallel, so I measured 7-7/8" side to
> same-side of those.
> ​​
> The distance from the center of the outboard bolt to the inboard side of
> the bearing bracket. Both of those, like the photo, are from-the-creeper
> since the rack's preoccupied with a guest.
> ​...​
>
>
_______________________________________________
GMCnet mailing list
Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org


Ken Henderson
Americus, GA
www.gmcwipersetc.com
Large Wiring Diagrams
76 X-Birchaven
76 X-Palm Beach
Re: [GMCnet] Final Drive Intermediate Axle questions [message #322544 is a reply to message #322525] Wed, 23 August 2017 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Les Burt[1] is currently offline  Les Burt[1]   United States
Messages: 318
Registered: April 2014
Karma: 2
Senior Member
The 4 switch pitch trannies I have all came from 66 toros. They all have that strut for the hanger bearing bracket.

I'm wondering if the noise you hear is the diff gear meshing noise being amplified somehow through the shaft and bearing once the bearing bracket is tight.

Les Burt
Montreal
'75 Eleganza 26'


> On Aug 23, 2017, at 7:49 AM, Ken Henderson wrote:
>
> Yep, the 6.056 brace is the one I was talking about.
>
> Might know we'd have to have Gary to explain it.
>
> While your problem is obviously more fundamental than that, it may be worth
> the minor effort to fabricate and install one. If it helps, at least it
> may give you a clue to the correct solution.
>
> Do you want me to remove mine and measure it for you?
>
>
> Ken H.
>
>
>> On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 11:36 PM, Richard Denney wrote:
>>
>> With that clue, I found this:
>>
>> http://www.caddydaddy.com/1967-1969-cadillac-eldorado-
>> final-drive-output-shaft-flange-front-drive-axle.html
>>
>> The bracket I have doesn't have a hole for the outboard end of that strut,
>> although it looks like it uses one of the retainer bolts plus an additional
>> alignment bolt.
>>
>> Rick "wondering if this could be fabricated" Denney
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 11:08 PM Gary Kosier
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Rick,
>>> ''It's because that strut is only used on the Eldorado.
>>>
>>> Gary Kosier
>>> 77PB w/500Cad
>>>
>> --
>> Rick Denney
>> 73 x-Glacier 230 "Jaws"
>> Off-list email to rick at rickdenney dot com
>> _______________________________________________
>> GMCnet mailing list
>> Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
>> http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org
>>
> _______________________________________________
> GMCnet mailing list
> Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
> http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org

_______________________________________________
GMCnet mailing list
Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org

Re: [GMCnet] Final Drive Intermediate Axle questions [message #322546 is a reply to message #322539] Wed, 23 August 2017 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard Denney is currently offline  Richard Denney   United States
Messages: 554
Registered: April 2010
Karma: 2
Senior Member
I'm not using the Phorum interface. When I use GMail's web interface, it
hides the quotes with three little dots that you have to click in order to
see it. I keep forgetting, but I trim when I remember.

And when I use Google's Inbox on my iPhone, seeing the quote requires some
work--trimming the quote is a royal PITA. The iPhone is often my only
method for keeping up--my work computer has...restrictions.

So, the measurement is 8-5/8" from the bracket inside surface to the center
of the hole (if it exists--I don't remember seeing it, though with Gary's
information it must be there) on the final drive.

Rick "who has expunged all POP servers from his life" Denney

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 11:54 AM, Ken Henderson
wrote:

> PS: When are you Phorum guys gonna go back to the practice of trimming
> the threads before posting? Us eMailers wind up with umpty-lebn copies of
> every reply when you don't. We do need a tidbit to remind us of what the
> conversation was though. KH​
>


--
'73 X-Glacier 230 "Jaws"
Northern Virginia
Offlist email: rick at rickdenney dot com
_______________________________________________
GMCnet mailing list
Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org
Re: [GMCnet] Final Drive Intermediate Axle questions [message #322547 is a reply to message #322544] Wed, 23 August 2017 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard Denney is currently offline  Richard Denney   United States
Messages: 554
Registered: April 2010
Karma: 2
Senior Member
I'm not discounting that possibility, but there is a rubbing noise in there
somewhere, in addition to the rattle of gear lash. Tightening the bolts
moves the bracket inboard, too, so it's natural place isn't quite where it
ends up.

I'll bet I'm going to find that the bracket isn't really square--the
mounting tabs and the part to which the bearing retainer attaches should be
plano-parallel, and those tabs should be at a right angle to the axle or
the bearing will bind.

Rick "probably no chance to mess with it today" Denney


On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 12:34 PM, Les Burt wrote:

> The 4 switch pitch trannies I have all came from 66 toros. They all have
> that strut for the hanger bearing bracket.
>
> I'm wondering if the noise you hear is the diff gear meshing noise being
> amplified somehow through the shaft and bearing once the bearing bracket is
> tight.
>
> Les Burt
> Montreal
> '75 Eleganza 26'
>
>
>> On Aug 23, 2017, at 7:49 AM, Ken Henderson
> wrote:
>>
>> Yep, the 6.056 brace is the one I was talking about.
>>
>> Might know we'd have to have Gary to explain it.
>>
>> While your problem is obviously more fundamental than that, it may be
> worth
>> the minor effort to fabricate and install one. If it helps, at least it
>> may give you a clue to the correct solution.
>>
>> Do you want me to remove mine and measure it for you?
>>
>>
>> Ken H.
>>
>>
>>> On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 11:36 PM, Richard Denney
> wrote:
>>>
>>> With that clue, I found this:
>>>
>>> http://www.caddydaddy.com/1967-1969-cadillac-eldorado-
>>> final-drive-output-shaft-flange-front-drive-axle.html
>>>
>>> The bracket I have doesn't have a hole for the outboard end of that
> strut,
>>> although it looks like it uses one of the retainer bolts plus an
> additional
>>> alignment bolt.
>>>
>>> Rick "wondering if this could be fabricated" Denney
>>>
>>> On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 11:08 PM Gary Kosier
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Rick,
>>>> ''It's because that strut is only used on the Eldorado.
>>>>
>>>> Gary Kosier
>>>> 77PB w/500Cad
>>>>
>>> --
>>> Rick Denney
>>> 73 x-Glacier 230 "Jaws"
>>> Off-list email to rick at rickdenney dot com
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> GMCnet mailing list
>>> Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
>>> http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org
>>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> GMCnet mailing list
>> Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
>> http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org
>
> _______________________________________________
> GMCnet mailing list
> Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
> http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org
>



--
'73 X-Glacier 230 "Jaws"
Northern Virginia
Offlist email: rick at rickdenney dot com
_______________________________________________
GMCnet mailing list
Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org

Re: [GMCnet] Final Drive Intermediate Axle questions [message #322548 is a reply to message #322538] Wed, 23 August 2017 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jimk is currently offline  jimk   United States
Messages: 4357
Registered: July 2006
Location: Belmont, CA
Karma: 5
Senior Member
If it makes nose as you spin the unit, there is a bad bearing on the hanger
or in the final.

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 7:59 AM, Gary Kosier wrote:

> Rick,
>
> Here's all the info as best can find. The brace is GM part #397480. In
> the thru-75
> Cadillac parts manual it is listed as fitting 68-75 Eldos. Oddly enough,
> the bolt for
> the end is listed as 67-75. In the 76-81 parts manual, there is no
> mention of the
> brace, although I know it was used on at least 76-78. I have a half-dozen
> RH output
> shafts and the Cadillac brackets have a mounting ear for the brace while
> the Olds
> brackets have none. I do have a shaft for an Olds 3.21 and it's
> different, but not like
> the Caddy. So I will conclude you never had the brace.
>
> Gary Kosier who's almost as pedantic as Rob Mueller
> 77PB w/500Cad
> Newark, Ohio
>
> --------------------------------------------------
> From: "Richard Denney"
> Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2017 9:50 AM
> To:
> Subject: Re: [GMCnet] Final Drive Intermediate Axle questions
>
> I don't know if I have the threaded hole. I'm not visualizing it
>> immediately, but it would seem to me that the 3.21 was only made during
>> the
>> time that both Cadillac and Oldsmobile used it (based on Rob's data), so I
>> would have thought they all had it. I don't recall an unused threaded
>> hole,
>> but I wasn't looking for one, either.
>>
>> I was planning to use a piece of 1/8" flat bar. It seems to me that if
>> tightened the bracket causes that bar to be insufficient (or maybe to need
>> the thing in the first place), the bracket needs to be straightened. Given
>> that GM decided it wasn't needed, I'd prefer not to use it except to
>> identify the problem.
>>
>> Rick "FD is an hour away until the weekend" Denney
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 8:36 AM, Ken Henderson
>> wrote:
>>
>> Darned if I know how I wound up with the brace on mine -- the facts are
>>> lost somewhere in my now-murky past. I know I wasn't surprised to find
>>> it,
>>> so at some time or another I saw one and thought I was supposed to have
>>> one.
>>>
>>> AFAIK before getting under the coach, there's only one place to measure
>>> --
>>> from the hole in the bracket to the threaded hole in the FD. Question
>>> is,
>>> do you have the hole in the FD?
>>>
>>> As far as the profile of the brace, it's basically straight except for
>>> the
>>> 90* bend at the bracket end. It's not flat stock but stamped to provide
>>> greater rigidity with thinner material. I'd probably use 1/4" bar stock
>>> if
>>> I were making one (though 1/8" might be enough).
>>>
>>> I'll get to the shop after breakfast.
>>>
>>> Ken
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 8:17 AM, Richard Denney
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> I wonder if Gary (or Manny) has one lying around in his stash. Seems a
>>> lot
>>>> of trouble to remove one just to measure it.
>>>>
>>>> Given that this strut only appeared on Eldorados, and given that only
>>>> (some) Eldorados used the 3.21, and given that the shaft is different
>>> with
>>>> that FD, I wonder if the struts are the same for the 455 application.
>>>> Do
>>> we
>>>> know that the blocks have the same width across those mounting points?
>>>> Manny tells me the brackets are the same, but I see an extra mounting
>>> hole
>>>> for that strut in the picture I linked, so I suspect that Cadillac
>>> dropped
>>>> the use of this strut just like GMC did for the motorhome. I know that
>>> the
>>>> 3.21 has been used pretty routinely with 455's, but I've never heard >
>>> talk
>>>> of this strut before.
>>>>
>>>> Maybe if you could measure the critical distance between the bracket >
>>> and
>>>> some reliable point on the final drive, I could use that to validate >
>>> the
>>>> straightness of the bracket once installed. If the measurement is
>>> correct,
>>>> then there is no need for the strut, it seems to me. My suspicion is >
>>> they
>>>> used it for a while and then decided it wasn't really necessary.
>>>>
>>>> How in the world did you end up with one on your motorhome? Have you
>>> always
>>>> had it? I don't see any hint of it in X-7425, looking at Figure 4, Page
>>>> 3C-4.
>>>>
>>>> I won't be back at the coach until tomorrow night at the earliest, or
>>>> probably Friday night or Saturday morning. (The grass still needs to be
>>>> mowed and the coach is an hour away.) If I can't get this resolved
>>>> immediately, I'm going to do other things (like putting in the front >
>>> end,
>>>> and dropping the tanks) while this waits for resolution. I'm going to
>>> give
>>>> Manny a call today to discuss it. But I need to have this all done by
>>> Labor
>>>> Day weekend, and I'm traveling next week and the following week.
>>>>
>>>> Rick "a little early in San Jose" Denney
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 7:49 AM, Ken Henderson >>>
>>>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> > Yep, the 6.056 brace is the one I was talking about.
>>>> >
>>>> > Might know we'd have to have Gary to explain it.
>>>> >
>>>> > While your problem is obviously more fundamental than that, it may be
>>>> worth
>>>> > the minor effort to fabricate and install one. If it helps, at least
>>> it
>>>> > may give you a clue to the correct solution.
>>>> >
>>>> > Do you want me to remove mine and measure it for you?
>>>> >
>>>> >
>>>> > Ken H.
>>>> >
>>>> >
>>>> > On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 11:36 PM, Richard Denney >>>
>>>> > wrote:
>>>> >
>>>> > > With that clue, I found this:
>>>> > >
>>>> > > http://www.caddydaddy.com/1967-1969-cadillac-eldorado-
>>>> > > final-drive-output-shaft-flange-front-drive-axle.html
>>>> > >
>>>> > > The bracket I have doesn't have a hole for the outboard end of that
>>>> > strut,
>>>> > > although it looks like it uses one of the retainer bolts plus an
>>>> > additional
>>>> > > alignment bolt.
>>>> > >
>>>> > > Rick "wondering if this could be fabricated" Denney
>>>> > >
>>>> > > On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 11:08 PM Gary Kosier > > > >> gkosier-AT-roadrunner-DOT-com
>>>>
>>>> > > wrote:
>>>> > >
>>>> > > > Rick,
>>>> > > > ''It's because that strut is only used on the Eldorado.
>>>> > > >
>>>> > > > Gary Kosier
>>>> > > > 77PB w/500Cad
>>>> > > >
>>>> > > --
>>>> > > Rick Denney
>>>> > > 73 x-Glacier 230 "Jaws"
>>>> > > Off-list email to rick at rickdenney dot com
>>>> > > _______________________________________________
>>>> > > GMCnet mailing list
>>>> > > Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
>>>> > > http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org
>>>> > >
>>>> > _______________________________________________
>>>> > GMCnet mailing list
>>>> > Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
>>>> > http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org
>>>> >
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> '73 X-Glacier 230 "Jaws"
>>>> Northern Virginia
>>>> Offlist email: rick at rickdenney dot com
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> GMCnet mailing list
>>>> Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
>>>> http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org
>>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> GMCnet mailing list
>>> Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
>>> http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> '73 X-Glacier 230 "Jaws"
>> Northern Virginia
>> Offlist email: rick at rickdenney dot com
>> _______________________________________________
>> GMCnet mailing list
>> Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
>> http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org
>>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> GMCnet mailing list
> Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
> http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org
>



--
Jim Kanomata
Applied/GMC, Newark,CA
jimk-AT-appliedairfilters-DOT-com
http://www.appliedgmc.com
1-800-752-7502
_______________________________________________
GMCnet mailing list
Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org



Jim Kanomata
Applied/GMC
jimk-AT-appliedairfilters-DOT-com
www.appliedgmc.com
1-800-752-7502
Re: [GMCnet] Final Drive Intermediate Axle questions [message #322549 is a reply to message #322547] Wed, 23 August 2017 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard Denney is currently offline  Richard Denney   United States
Messages: 554
Registered: April 2010
Karma: 2
Senior Member
I did just get an email from Manny--he's apparently been following along.
He's offered to send a replacement and I'm taking him up on
that--correcting the issue with this one will be something he's far more
skilled at doing than I am.

He thinks the most likely probability is that the bracket isn't straight
and it's pushing the shaft too far into the final drive.

For posterity, he tells me that the 3.21 axle bearing is indeed different,
with a slightly smaller inside diameter. He sleeves the shaft so that it
will accommodate the bearing used for the 3.07 shaft, and thus the bracket
is also used for that shaft. That's why there's no tab for the strut. The
bearing used for the original 3.21 shaft is obsolete and no longer
available. If I'm understanding correctly, he also sleeves the seal race
where it enters the final drive to use a better quality seal.

This is a most unusual problem--it's never happened to him before. I have
suspicion that this bracket was on a vehicle that had some damage that
pushed the bracket inboard in way that is hard to see. It wouldn't take
much.

Rick "good discussion--thanks" Denney

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 1:10 PM, Richard Denney wrote:

> ...
>
> I'll bet I'm going to find that the bracket isn't really square--the
> mounting tabs and the part to which the bearing retainer attaches should be
> plano-parallel, and those tabs should be at a right angle to the axle or
> the bearing will bind.
>
>

--
'73 X-Glacier 230 "Jaws"
Northern Virginia
Offlist email: rick at rickdenney dot com
_______________________________________________
GMCnet mailing list
Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org

Re: [GMCnet] Final Drive Intermediate Axle questions [message #322559 is a reply to message #322539] Wed, 23 August 2017 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
USAussie is currently offline  USAussie   United States
Messages: 15324
Registered: July 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Karma: 41
Senior Member
Ken,

I found this line drawing in my files and I'm pretty sure that the brace in Double Trouble looks like the one in this line drawing and is l_l shaped.

http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/aa-miscellaneous-photos/p63623-olds-toronado-3-21-fd.html

Regards,
Rob M.
The Pedantic Mechanic
Sydney, Australia
AUS '75 Avion - The Blue Streak TZE365V100428
USA '75 Avion - Double Trouble TZE365V100426
USA '77 Kingsley - TZE 267V100808


-----Original Message-----
From: Gmclist [mailto:gmclist-bounces-AT-list-DOT-gmcnet-DOT-org] On Behalf Of Ken Henderson
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2017 1:55 AM
To: GMC Mail List
Subject: Re: [GMCnet] Final Drive Intermediate Axle questions

Rick,

Here's the photo:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3XquSIYjDleN2cydTlUMGpaZl9kaEdfNUZ2TklKQ3lCanA0/view?usp=sharing

Notice that the hex heads are parallel, so I measured 7-7/8" side to
same-side of those. The distance from the center of the outboard bolt to
the inboard side of the bearing bracket. Both of those, like the photo,
are from-the-creeper since the rack's preoccupied with a guest.

As Gary noted, the Eldorado's bracket has a tab to bolt the brace to; your
Olds' probably does not -- like the parts list you found.

Was I you, I'd probably probably bend the 90* on one end of a piece of bar
stock "just too long for the job", and bolt the brace to the bracket. At
the FD end I'd clamp it in place with a C-clamp for trouble shooting. If I
found a position that cured the problem, I'd mark and drill, cut, and bolt
the brace in that position. And hope.

JWID,

Ken H.

​PS: When are you Phorum guys gonna go back to the practice of trimming
the threads before posting? Us eMailers wind up with umpty-lebn copies of
every reply when you don't. We do need a tidbit to remind us of what the
conversation was though. KH​
_______________________________________________
GMCnet mailing list
Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org


_______________________________________________
GMCnet mailing list
Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org


Regards, Rob M. (USAussie) The Pedantic Mechanic Sydney, Australia '75 Avion - AUS - The Blue Streak TZE365V100428 '75 Avion - USA - Double Trouble TZE365V100426
Re: [GMCnet] Final Drive Intermediate Axle questions [message #322561 is a reply to message #322549] Wed, 23 August 2017 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kosier is currently offline  Kosier   United States
Messages: 754
Registered: February 2008
Karma: 1
Senior Member
Rick,
Have you considered the country boy trick of putting a flat washer on the
bolt in between the bracket and block?

Gary Kosier
77PB w/500Cad
Newark, Ohio

--------------------------------------------------
From: "Richard Denney"
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2017 1:45 PM
To:
Subject: Re: [GMCnet] Final Drive Intermediate Axle questions

> I did just get an email from Manny--he's apparently been following along.
> He's offered to send a replacement and I'm taking him up on
> that--correcting the issue with this one will be something he's far more
> skilled at doing than I am.
>
> He thinks the most likely probability is that the bracket isn't straight
> and it's pushing the shaft too far into the final drive.
>
> For posterity, he tells me that the 3.21 axle bearing is indeed different,
> with a slightly smaller inside diameter. He sleeves the shaft so that it
> will accommodate the bearing used for the 3.07 shaft, and thus the bracket
> is also used for that shaft. That's why there's no tab for the strut. The
> bearing used for the original 3.21 shaft is obsolete and no longer
> available. If I'm understanding correctly, he also sleeves the seal race
> where it enters the final drive to use a better quality seal.
>
> This is a most unusual problem--it's never happened to him before. I have
> suspicion that this bracket was on a vehicle that had some damage that
> pushed the bracket inboard in way that is hard to see. It wouldn't take
> much.
>
> Rick "good discussion--thanks" Denney
>
> On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 1:10 PM, Richard Denney
> wrote:
>
>> ...
>>
>> I'll bet I'm going to find that the bracket isn't really square--the
>> mounting tabs and the part to which the bearing retainer attaches should
>> be
>> plano-parallel, and those tabs should be at a right angle to the axle or
>> the bearing will bind.
>>
>>
>
> --
> '73 X-Glacier 230 "Jaws"
> Northern Virginia
> Offlist email: rick at rickdenney dot com
> _______________________________________________
> GMCnet mailing list
> Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
> http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org


_______________________________________________
GMCnet mailing list
Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org

Re: [GMCnet] Final Drive Intermediate Axle questions [message #322565 is a reply to message #322561] Wed, 23 August 2017 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard Denney is currently offline  Richard Denney   United States
Messages: 554
Registered: April 2010
Karma: 2
Senior Member
Yes. That would solve the spacing, but not any misalignment. I need to
figure out which is happening, but I think I'll try the replacement Manny
is sending first.

Rick "not a lot of time to research this all the way" Denney

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 4:20 PM, Gary Kosier wrote:

> Rick,
> Have you considered the country boy trick of putting a flat washer on the
> bolt in between the bracket and block?
>
> Gary Kosier
> 77PB w/500Cad
> Newark, Ohio
>
> --------------------------------------------------
> From: "Richard Denney"
> Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2017 1:45 PM
> To:
> Subject: Re: [GMCnet] Final Drive Intermediate Axle questions
>
> I did just get an email from Manny--he's apparently been following along.
>> He's offered to send a replacement and I'm taking him up on
>> that--correcting the issue with this one will be something he's far more
>> skilled at doing than I am.
>>
>> He thinks the most likely probability is that the bracket isn't straight
>> and it's pushing the shaft too far into the final drive.
>>
>> For posterity, he tells me that the 3.21 axle bearing is indeed different,
>> with a slightly smaller inside diameter. He sleeves the shaft so that it
>> will accommodate the bearing used for the 3.07 shaft, and thus the bracket
>> is also used for that shaft. That's why there's no tab for the strut. The
>> bearing used for the original 3.21 shaft is obsolete and no longer
>> available. If I'm understanding correctly, he also sleeves the seal race
>> where it enters the final drive to use a better quality seal.
>>
>> This is a most unusual problem--it's never happened to him before. I have
>> suspicion that this bracket was on a vehicle that had some damage that
>> pushed the bracket inboard in way that is hard to see. It wouldn't take
>> much.
>>
>> Rick "good discussion--thanks" Denney
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 1:10 PM, Richard Denney
>> wrote:
>>
>> ...
>>>
>>> I'll bet I'm going to find that the bracket isn't really square--the
>>> mounting tabs and the part to which the bearing retainer attaches should
>>> be
>>> plano-parallel, and those tabs should be at a right angle to the axle or
>>> the bearing will bind.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>> --
>> '73 X-Glacier 230 "Jaws"
>> Northern Virginia
>> Offlist email: rick at rickdenney dot com
>> _______________________________________________
>> GMCnet mailing list
>> Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
>> http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org
>>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> GMCnet mailing list
> Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
> http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org
>



--
'73 X-Glacier 230 "Jaws"
Northern Virginia
Offlist email: rick at rickdenney dot com
_______________________________________________
GMCnet mailing list
Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org

Re: [GMCnet] Final Drive Intermediate Axle questions [message #322573 is a reply to message #322559] Wed, 23 August 2017 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ken Henderson is currently offline  Ken Henderson   United States
Messages: 7216
Registered: March 2004
Location: Americus, GA
Karma: 40
Senior Member
Yep, that looks like what Rick needs. I guess Cadillac, since they had to
have a different bracket design to fit the mounting lugs on their engine,
just added the attachment tab to that bracket. IIRC, I've got a couple
more Cad500 brackets; I'll try to remember to check tomorrow whether they
all include that tab.

Ken H.


On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 3:59 PM, Rob Mueller
wrote:

> Ken,
>
> I found this line drawing in my files and I'm pretty sure that the brace
> in Double Trouble looks like the one in this line drawing and is l_l shaped.
>
> http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/aa-miscellaneous-
> photos/p63623-olds-toronado-3-21-fd.html
>
_______________________________________________
GMCnet mailing list
Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org



Ken Henderson
Americus, GA
www.gmcwipersetc.com
Large Wiring Diagrams
76 X-Birchaven
76 X-Palm Beach
Re: [GMCnet] Final Drive Intermediate Axle questions [message #323824 is a reply to message #322565] Tue, 12 September 2017 23:06 Go to previous message
Richard Denney is currently offline  Richard Denney   United States
Messages: 554
Registered: April 2010
Karma: 2
Senior Member
The replacement shaft arrived today, and I did a quick visual comparison.
The previous bracket is subtly not square with the shaft, and will not only
push the shaft in too far, but will also hold the bearing at not quite
right angle to the shaft, which may be binding it. I won't be able to
install it until Thursday, but I do see differences that would explain the
issue. It would be very difficult to see the issue with the bracket unless
looking for that specific issue.

Rick "nor Thursday" Denney

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 5:18 PM Richard Denney wrote:

> Yes. That would solve the spacing, but not any misalignment. I need to
> figure out which is happening, but I think I'll try the replacement Manny
> is sending first.
>
> Rick "not a lot of time to research this all the way" Denney
>
> --
> '73 X-Glacier 230 "Jaws"
> Northern Virginia
> Offlist email: rick at rickdenney dot com
>
--
Rick Denney
73 x-Glacier 230 "Jaws"
Off-list email to rick at rickdenney dot com
_______________________________________________
GMCnet mailing list
Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
http://list.gmcnet.org/mailman/listinfo/gmclist_list.gmcnet.org

Previous Topic: [GMCnet] No spark on HEI UPDATE
Next Topic: [GMCnet] Happy Birthday Walt
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Sep 22 22:46:27 CDT 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02830 seconds